Ruptured Gas Line Ignites On South Side, No Injuries

Sun-Times Media Wire
November 26, 2019 - 8:45 pm
Gas Line Rupture

Chicago Fire Media

Categories: 

(WBBM NEWSRADIO) -- No one was injured after a ruptured gas line ignited Tuesday in Brainerd on the South Side.

Authorities were called about 7:20 p.m. after a construction crew ruptured a six-inch gas main in the in the 8900 block of South Marshfield Avenue, according to Chicago Fire Department officials.

Video shared by fire officials at 8 p.m. shows flames erupting from the sidewalk just steps away from homes on the block.

No injuries were reported, and no homes were damaged the fire department said. Residents were advised to stay in their homes, but some people left the scene.

People’s Gas shut down the gas feed about 8:33 p.m., and the flame was put out, the fire department said. A spokeswoman with People’s Gas said about 60 customers had their gas shut off as a result of the leak.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire & Chicago Sun-Times 2019. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)