Student Arrested After Making Online Threat Against York High School

Bernie Tafoya
September 18, 2019 - 1:27 pm

iStock / Getty Images Plus


CHICAGO (WBBM NEWSRADIO) -- Officials announced Wednesday that they have made an arrest in a threat made on social media against a west suburban high school. 

The DuPage County State's Attorney's Office and Elmhurst Police said a 15-year-old male York High School student was arrested at school Tuesday for allegedly making a video threat against the school Monday. 

Prosecutors and police said the boy allegedly posted the threat on Snapchat. Officials said the teen was seen "holding what appears to be a rifle, later determined to be an air-soft rifle, while making threatening remarks against the school."

DuPage County authorities became aware of the post and began an investigation that led to the arrest of the boy.

“The safety and well-being of our children and their teachers remains a top priority of my administration,” DuPage County State’s Attorney Robert Berlin said. “Any threat, or even the perception of a threat of violence directed at a school will immediately be investigated and if found credible, charged accordingly. I would like to thank the FBI as well as authorities at York High School for their assistance and cooperation in this matter. I would like to thank the Elmhurst Police Department for their quick response and apprehension of the suspect in this case. I would also like to thank Assistant State’s Attorney Nick Catizone for his work in helping us keep our schools as safe as possible.”

In a statement, Elmhurst School District 205 Supt. David Moyer said the post was removed and did not directly identify York High School. He said the “educational environment of the high school was not interrupted.”

“We are working diligently with law enforcement to ensure that the safety of our students and staff remains our top priority,” Moyer said. “Social media threats are taken seriously. Please think before you post.”

The boy appeared at a detention hearing on Wednesday morning, where he was ordered to be placed on home detention. He has been charged with one count of disorderly conduct. His next court date is scheduled for Sept. 23.