Reports: Jason Van Dyke Attacked In Prison

February 13, 2019 - 10:29 pm
Categories: 

CHICAGO (WBBM NEWSRADIO) – Former Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke has been attacked at a Connecticut correctional facility, according to published reports.

Van Dyke was convicted last year of the 2014 shooting death of Laquan McDonald and sentenced to nearly seven years in prison for second-degree murder. The special prosecutor who won the conviction is asking the Illinois Supreme Court to reconsider the trial judge’s sentencing, which some critics have called too lenient.

Meantime, Van Dyke’s safety has been a concern for his legal team and family. The reports published Wednesday indicated the high-profile prisoner was attacked and may have been in the general population of a federal prison in Danbury, Connecticut.

The Chicago Sun-Times’ Michael Sneed interviewed Van Dyke’s wife, Tiffany, who said a news conference was planned for Thursday morning to discuss her husband. Another published report said Jason Van Dyke was expected to be okay.

Van Dyke, 40, testified he shot McDonald during an encounter between the black teen and several officers because he feared for his life and the lives of his fellow officers. Dashcam video did not support claims that the youth, who had a knife, lunged at police.