Pritzker Calls Second Planned Lawsuit Challenging Extension Of Stay-At-Home Order 'Irresponsible'

WBBM Newsradio Staff
April 29, 2020 - 3:17 pm
Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker listens to a question after announcing a shelter in place order to combat the spread of the Covid-19 virus, during a news conference Friday, March 20, 2020, in Chicago.

AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast

Categories: 

CHICAGO (WBBM NEWSRADIO) -- Gov. Pritzker is not wavering his decision on the stay-at-home order extension after a second lawsuit by another Republican state lawmaker challenging the legality of the order plans to be filed. 

The planned lawsuit by State Rep. John Cabello of Machesney Park differs from the first one filed by downstate Rep. Darren Bailey. Cabello wants his lawsuit to cover everyone in Illinois, while Bailey's lawsuit only covered himself.

“I want to see if what the governor is doing by extending his order is constitutional,” Cabello said. "I think the government has gone way too far by saying you are not allowed to be open because we say so."

Pritzker called the second lawsuit irresponsible, saying it is a similar measure to the first lawsuit in dismissing the importance of safety to keep residents healthy.

"The lawsuit is another attempt at grandstanding," Pritzker said at his daily press briefing on Wednesday. 

Cabello said the governor's stay-at-home order is creating economic winners and losers, with the winners like Target and Walmart and the losers being mom and pop operations. He said small businesses should be able to operate with safety precautions in place.

Pritzker said opening up small businesses remains one of his top concerns and said he plans to announce new restrictions to mom and pop stores — some that also sell grocery items — so that they can be open safely. 

"The first thing I want to do across the state is open these small businesses," he said.

Late last month, Pritzker announced emergency funds for local businesses, with programs like the Illinois Small Business Emergency Loan Fund and the Downstate Small Business Stabilization Program.  

On Wednesday, The Illinois Department of Public Health reported 2,253 new coronavirus cases and 92 deaths, bringing the state's known total to 50,355 cases and 2,215 deaths.