Rialmo Expected Back On The Stand Wednesday In Wrongful Death Lawsuit

Bob Roberts
June 20, 2018 - 7:06 am
Chicago Police Officer Robert Rialmo

Chicago Police Officer Robert Rialmo (attorney Joel Brodsky/GoFundMe)

Categories: 

CHICAGO (WBBM NEWSRADIO) -- Chicago Police Officer Robert Rialmo is expected to be back on the witness stand for most of the day Wednesday in the wrongful death suit filed by the family of Quintonio LeGrier.

LeGrier estate attorneys called Rialmo to the stand, so he faced hostile questioning from the beginning.        

During the 50 minutes he was on the stand Tuesday afternoon, Rialmo gave one- and two-word answers, contradicted himself several times and said he could not recall certain details. For instance, he said he did not speak with his partner after the shootings, even though he told attorneys last year he did so several times. He admitted he left his baton in the car that night, which left him with three options -- verbal, hand to body or guns, because he had neither tasers nor pepper spray.

Rialmo's attorney, Joel Brodsky, said the questioning by a LeGrier family attorney first was "backward." 

"It starting backwards. He is being cross-examined which usually comes after you give your testimony, then you are cross-examined by the other side," Brodsky said.

He asked the judge to admonish jurors not to weigh the evidence until both sides could pose questions.

Throughout the 50 minutes of testimony Tuesday, the questions were peppered with words such as "deliberate" and "intentional." 

Rialmo said his Police Academy de-escalation training was "utterly a joke," but said he never sought additional training elsewhere.

Testimony is expected to resume at 10:15 a.m. Wednesday in Room 2303 of the Daley Center.