Paramedics Under Investigation Following University Village Shooting

Department Wants Answers After Paramedics Cover Teen In Sheet

Bernie Tafoya
June 20, 2018 - 8:21 am

CHICAGO (WBBM NEWSRADIO) -- The Chicago Fire Department is investigating the actions of paramedics Monday morning when a teenager who was shot in the head was thought to be dead, later turned out to be alive.

Erin Carey, 17, was one of six people shot Monday morning in the 1300 block of South Loomis. He has multiple gunshot wounds to the head and paramedics put a sheet over him believing he was dead. 

It was not until an hour later that someone saw him move. Paramedics transfered him to Stroger Hospital in “very critical condition.” Carey died Tuesday morning, about 20 hours after he was shot, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said the actions of paramedics were unacceptable and that is not the policy of the fire department to leave mortality wounded people on the street.

“It is not the policy of the Fire Department to leave people on the street, even if they are mortally wounded,” Langford said. “Our investigation will determine if any rules were violated which may have contributed to this delay.”

RELATED: Teen Dies After University Village ShootingAt Least 5 Shot, 1 Fatally, In University Village Shooting

Several ambulances had responded Monday to the shooting, Langford said, so there was no shortage of ambulances at the time.

Langford said interviews will be conducted with paramedics and other department staffers who responded to the shooting. There will also be a review of emergency radio traffic, 911 calls and other information as they investigate the response.

“We know it was an extended period of time to get to the victim,” Langford said. “The time it took to get the victim off the street and under treatment was not acceptable by the Fire Department.”

The department will try to determine if any rules were broken. 

A relative of Carey spoke to the Tribune and wonders if he would have lived if he would have received prompt medical attention. 

“He was so young,” said a cousin, Raneice Carey. "He just didn’t deserve what happened. I feel like he could’ve had a chance at surviving.”