E-Cig May Have Caused Fire In House

Andy Dahn
May 23, 2019 - 5:17 pm

iStock/Getty Images

Categories: 

(WBBM NEWSRADIO) -- A McHenry home sustained minor damage after a small fire in an upstairs bedroom Wednesday night, but it's what caused the blaze that has authorities warning residents.

"The suspected cause of this fire is just something that we're hearing more and more and more about,” said McHenry Township Fire Protection District Batallion Chief David Harwood.

He said firefighters were called to a home in the 2900 block of Arbor Drive, where the homeowner explained that he had put out the fire on a small mattress.

"It was determined that the fire had started from an e-cigarette," Harwood said. "The fire investigators believe that's going to be the cause of the fire."

The homeowner suffered a minor burn while putting out the fire.

Harwood said the e-cigarette's battery likely overheated while it was left charging.

"It's not just residential structure fires that this is happening in, while something is left charging. We've seen this also in vehicles, where drivers or passengers will leave their cellphones in the vehicle, charging."

Harwood's tip: Keep an eye on any electronic device when it's charging.

"We need to think a little more before we leave things unoccupied in our vehicles or our houses, charging."