Contractor Injured In Streamwood Explosion

Nancy Harty
July 29, 2019 - 9:43 pm
Ambulance

iStock / Getty Images Plus

Categories: 

STREAMWOOD (WBBM NEWSRADIO) -- One person was hospitalized after a house explosion in Streamwood Monday afternoon.

Crews responding to a call around 4 p.m. found broken windows, a growing fire and an injured contractor at a townhome on Shagbark Lane.

Streamwood Fire Chief Chris Clark tells WBBM Newsradio that a fire in the basement appears to have started after the contractor installing a heating and air conditioning unit cut through the natural gas supply for the building.

The contractor was taken to the hospital with cuts.

The townhome sustained significant damage -- including smoke damage and siding blown off -- but the units on either side did not.