Ald. Burke Says He's Still Running, Thanks Supporters

Craig Dellimore
January 04, 2019 - 3:34 pm

(Ashlee Rezin/Chicago Sun-Times via AP)

Categories: 

CHICAGO (WBBM NEWSRADIO) -- Embattled Chicago Ald. Ed Burke took to social media Friday to announce he's staying in the race for another term on the City Council, a day after federal prosecutors accused him of attempted extortion.

Burke seemed to be addressing political supporters in the 40-second statement posted on his 14th Ward aldermanic Facebook page.

"I'm hopeful that you and my many friends will continue to do the work you've already been doing," he said.

Burke this week was accused of trying to shake down a restaurant owner who was seeking city permits for a renovation. The veteran alderman, 75, has previously said he has done nothing wrong, in the wake of FBI raids on his offices.

The bombshell federal case against the council's longest-serving member put pressure on various public officials to distance themselves from Burke. On Friday, Mayor Emanuel announced that Burke would give up chairmanship of the powerful Finance Committee. The mayor also announced changes in the way the committee operates; it will now be headed by Emanuel ally Patrick O'Connor. 

That will include moving a worker's compensation fund under the mayor's control.